As suggested on our homepage, education transforms people, preparing them for new thinking and action. In the capstone for the undergraduate minor, students reflect on how their Education coursework and related experiences (such as internships) have prepared them for new thinking and action in the educational domain.
Students show what they’ve learned in one of two ways: by participating in a series of Conversations with community members or by creating a Publication for public exhibition on this site.
It was one of the best academic experiences I have had at Cornell. It allowed me to have a chance to reflect on all my fieldwork and course work at Cornell and my life prior to Cornell. I really enjoyed the positive energy and caring environment established by the guests you invited to the program. They gave such encouraging responses and feedback and made me feel like I really accomplished something here at Cornell.
--Spring 2014 graduate, CALS Interdisciplinary Studies
I loved the conversations event because I was able to connect with other education minors, share my ideas, and receive useful advice from seasoned educators
-Spring 2015 graduate
The Education Minor capstone experience allowed me the unique opportunity to reflect on all of my teaching and learning experiences both with taking classes at Cornell and performing fieldwork in Ithaca. I was able to converse openly and reflect with peers, professors, and community leaders. This culmination of my experiences provided me the chance for personal reflection. Further, it gave me valuable feedback that I will definitely take with me into the classroom next year when I teach biology as a Teach for America corps member in Connecticut.
-Spring 2017 graduate, Biology & Society
Publications Capstone Samples
- The Hidden Curriculum of Cornell - Hannah Dorpfeld
- Education Minor Capstone - Tamara K. Heath
- Community, Challenge, and Chances Can Create Conscious Education - Doneisha King
- We Are All Teachers and Learners - Emma Korolik
- A Diversity of (Education-based) Experiences Leads to a Diversity of (Education-based) Life Lessons - Samantha Kreda
- Education Minor Capstone - Drew McCann
- The Master’s House: Deconstructing Normative Education Structures Within, and Outside of, the Ivory Tower - Paola Muñoz
- No Capstone Unturned (.mp3 podcast) - Conner Parkinson
- What does it Really Mean to be an Educator in Today’s Society? - Renee Poullott
- Teaching: The Ability to Understand, Action to Engage, and Building of a Relationship with Students - Shalini Radhakrishnan
- Solving Our Educational Inequities, Beyond the Band-Aids - Maggie Walsh
- Insights as an Education Minor - Moriah S. West
- Education Minor Capstone - Deaven Winebrake